Thursday, September 6, 2007

Prayer for Relief, Comfort and Support

Dear Lord,

Please have mercy on my family and myself. I pray for relief from the constant pain in my leg. I do not understand why the muscles have become tumorous, or why my cancer in my lungs has again started to grow aggressively. I only know that despite all of this, I still have trust in You and have faith in You. Trust that Your Word is true, and that You will never give me more than I can bear and never leave me alone.

Dear Lord, the experimental drug study at Mayo Clinic has not helped me, and I am down to one final chemotherapy attempt. As I take this final treatment today at Carle Clinic, I give thanks to the doctors at Mayo who have not abandoned me, but offer this new chemotherapy option to help relieve my condition for whatever time is possible. I give thanks to be able to take this treatment in my home town, and be with my family again. I give thanks for the kindness and professional standing of all the doctors at Mayo Clinic; and for how everyone there had made me feel so much at home, and yes, also feel loved and cared for.

Dear Lord, I know my time on this earth is now short. It could be one more month, or 4 more months, or possibly anything in between. But whatever time I am given, please help me make these weeks, days and hours some of the most significant of my entire life. Please grant me relief from this constant pain in my leg; this tumor which continues to form, grow, and prevent my walking. I wish that it could just be removed by a surgeon, but I also know that this would take too long to heal and would prevent any chance of treating my lungs. I pray that this next chemotherapy can help stop the growth of cancer cells in my body, so that I may have more time with my family. I know that the chances of this are small, but You are great and can do anything. But regardless, help me to accept Your will. Your will be done.

Dear Lord, so many times I have prayed for a better outcome from this disease. Prayers by the hundreds and thousands have been said for healing and relief. But there has been no such healing or relief. Despite this, grant me faith and hope; if not for this life then for the next life to come. Again I pray for guidance during the end of this process; for relief from my pain; for grace, dignity and comfort in the days ahead. Not only for myself, but also for those who love and care for me.

Dear Lord, help me not to be angry with this disease. These cancer cells are not foreign, but are made by my own body; they are of me. If I am angry with this disease, then I am angry with You; and I cannot be angry with You. I only want to feel your guidance and comfort. Help me to only feel Your Love, and focus on this as I pass forward into Your arms.

AMEN

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Brent,

My prayers are with you.

Lee Stromberg

A Crockhead Abroad said...

Brent, your courage and willingness to face whatever comes with grace has been an inspiration. May God give you the strength to cope with these difficult times.

John Otto

Eileen Gingrich said...

Brent,

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

seema said...

Dear Dr.Brent

I dont know if you remember me,I am Dr Seema Nikalje,Jalna.At present in Melbourne under a research program till November. Usha mam's sister has been my mother's student. Alice' is my mother's name. Dear sir,we met at the vacation bible school organised by Dr.Shobha Moses in 2005. I remember you told me that I have good control over children.
I got to read your blog after a big gap.
I just wanted to reach you some how to convey that I pray for you daily. My prayer group in Jalna led by Dr.Shobha is also praying for you. I pray for a miracle in your & your family's life. I believe He is gonna use you as His witness for this world.Indeed He is writing through you. Be firm in faith and hope ,The Lord is my sheperd, I shall not want'Psalms :23


Seema
Australia
Seemanikalje@rediffmail.com