Tuesday, October 9, 2007

THE MEANING OF IT ALL

Dear Friends,

Since I was diagnosed with spread of my cancer in a form which is incurable, a number of positive things have happened in my life ....

I have felt a strong awakening of my God-given Spirit, which has provided great insight and guidance during this difficult time. I feel as though many years of spiritual growth and maturity have been gifted to me, over just a few months. I wonder what levels of enlightenment could have been achieved if I had just been more open to spiritual growth over my entire life. In a strange way, God may have allowed this disease to take my physical being, but in the process saved my spiritual being for eternity.

Many people have written to me saying how my Blog entries have really changed their perspective on life, increased or renewed their belief in God, or simply awakened an interest in a Higher Being. I honestly did not anticipate such powerful reactions. I originally just intended to share my experiences with friends and family, who are very concerned and want to walk this path with me. This Blog has taken on a life of it's own and is being read and shared among people the world over, many of whom I have never personally met. As I look back on this process, I now understand that these Blog entries are inspired by that Higher Being. Many times I sit with my laptop and just start typing; ideas, words and sentences just seemingly coming from my fingertips - as if I were channeling messages with spiritual inspiration. I really can't credit my own mind for many of these entries. Now I understand that sharing of my experiences, writing down these inspirations, is having a positive effect on other people's lives. I sincerely hope that these writings will continue to help others strengthen their faith in God.

My children have been faced with death of their parent, but are going through this process from the standpoint of walking with God. Through our discussions, and the examples set by adults in their lives, my children are gaining insight into the meaning of faith and the promise of life after death. I can also see my children gaining maturity in their own faith. Deep discussions and questions surrounding God are commonly asked by my children now, which gives more opportunity for us to share together. I am beginning to understand that my passing will ultimately increase my children's interest in spiritual living, and their faith in God. I could not ask for a better legacy than this.

Perhaps there is purpose in my disease; a meaning behind my early demise. If these things I have just described are the true reason for my suffering and death, and this is God's will, then I have to agree that it is worthwhile. My illness has ultimately helped improve other people's lives, given my children strength in their understanding and faith in God, and saved my spiritual life for eternity. This is sometimes the way God works; although we are unable to understand at the time, and it doesn't fit our concept of "fairness".

I am not sure if I will be writing any further entries; it will depend on physical and mental ability, as well as inspiration. Therefore, I am writing as if this is my last entry. My wife and father have promised to finish this blog once I am gone and have it published as a booklet, in order to share with those who have interest. I am sure this will be passed down from my children to grandchildren. Among other remembrances of my life, this will also be a meaningful legacy.

I wish to thank Woodstock School, Mussoorie - India, for the inspiring pictures used in these last two blog entries. This is the school my oldest son attended for his junior and senior years of high school. It is located in the foothills of the Himalaya Mountains, amidst much natural beauty. These pictures are part of many they have posted on their web site.

With
Much Love to All,

BRENT

11 comments:

Lisa Jablonski said...

Brent,
I can't begin to thank you for allowing all of us in to your thoughts and feelings as you walk this road. You are such an amazing inspiration. Thank you for allowing the Spirit to work through you for the good of so many of us. Your blog is such a great tool for the Spirit to reach out to so many others. You are right, your legacy will be ongoing through many generations.
Lisa

Namita said...

Dearest Brent,

I have wanted to let you know how inspiring your blog has been to me. Your journey has helped me value everyday and cherish my family and friends.
I have found your courage amazing and through you, I have found insight in dealing with my patients who have ALS, a rapidly progressive terminal neurologic disease. I have told many of my terminal patients how you have found some peace and support through your blog, and how it is a fantastic idea for them in dealing with their condition. So, in turn I would like to thank you for finding a way for me to help my patients find that same inspiration.
Wishing you, Didi, Brian, and Ben all the peace and love.
Love,
Namita

Unknown said...

Respected Dr Brent Sir

I salute you for this great & amazing creation "Blog" which has inspired me a lot. Now I learnt the true meaning of life.Really you are very very great.I do not have words to explain the things which I have personally got and learnt through this Blog.This will always remain and keep on guiding.

GOD is great. We are the Childrens of GOD. Hence I am confident that GOD will always favour his childrens.

With Prayer to Lord Ganesha

Your's
Dr (Mr&Mrs)Kaushik
Mahyco Seeds Ltd,
Vejalpur

Linda S. Lee said...

1 Cor. 13:12 "Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known. And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love."

"This is my desire to honor you.
Lord with all my heart,
I worship you.
All I have within me,
I give you praise.
All that I adore is in You."

I thank God for you.

Mike said...

Dear Brent,
Just today I discovered your blog, while in search of materials with which to teach my class. I found it. Your story has grabbed my life like no other. I couldn't stop reading. It brought to mind how I try to live: trying to love Jesus Crucified in the daily routines. But it seems Jesus is calling you to do it in a more concrete way. He has come to visit you. When saint Terese of the baby Jesus coughed up blood, she said "my spouse has arrived." How much you are loved by God in this moment. I pray Mary stays with you and accompanies you to see the One you have loved so much. The heavens rejoice... Perhaps paradise will be populated with another saint! I've never written to you before but we know each other because we have the same Father!. Be at peace. Your friend (God), the one you love the most is with you. Hopefully we (the world) will get to hear more of what God wants to tell us through you.
Keep saying YES to God - he loves you immensely!

Mike

vrdakshinamurthy said...

Dear Dr Brent,
Your recording of your inner voice during this portion of the life journey has been a tremendous revelation.What is spoken off in scriptures is being truly reflected in your thought processes.
Life is a journey with a purpose defined by the Lord and it is indeed only the God gifted like yourself who realise it.
The body is only a medium to serve the purpose and once it is done, the body has no role and the inner self travels home to be with the eternal and Infinite.
God pushes us into difficulties, creates fear and ultimately thru the vary same process,He enables us to conquer fear. You have already conquered fear
It is never too late to turn spiritual.It is this transformation to spirituality that is important and not the length of time for which we were spiritual.

Dinesh Agarwal said...

Dear Dr Brent,

I have read all your blogs. I am sure that GOD will bestow all his kindness to you and your family.I pray to him for sustainence of your spiritual strength, love and faith in him.

With best regards,

Unknown said...

Dear Brent,

Many thanks for sharing your life and spiritual experiences with all of us despite your serious illness. I would not think in a minute that any normal human beings to able to write such a inspiring and real story at this story without God's blessings. The ALMIGHTY is within you and His blessings will be with you and your family forever.

Lets all pray to the God to keep you longer in this world with less difficulties to deliver a good messages to people and in particular for Brian and Ben.

With Prayers and Love,
Kasi

Bob Hudson said...

Brent,

I also thank you for sharing yourself in this way. Reading your expressions of what the Spirit has taught you through this all has certainly been moving and inspiring. But I must admit to still wishing for something more. Sometimes I imagine that all of those reading your blog are gathered and singing songs with you. We'd sing your favorite songs and everyone else would suggest songs that expressed how they felt.

The song that I'd ask that everyone to sing for you was written by Bruce Cockburn. I like the song because it expresses the profound value of friendship in life. We learn so much from our friends when they are open and share their growing edge, as you have in this blog.

The verse that fits best goes like this:

Some of us live and some of us die,
Someday God's going to tell us why,
Open your heart and grow with what life sends,
That's your ticket to the festival of friends.


I think the "festival" is a poetic symbol of both the bittersweet joy of experiencing love and friendship in the context of our limited lives and the feeling that somehow that these elements of life don't just stop, but flow continuously from our past to the present and on into the eternal.

Your friend,
Bob

christo said...

Dear Brent
As I have said earlier words fail to express the emotional turmoil I am going through. hence I will be brief.
God be with you always and I am thankful to you and God almighty that you considered us all friends and shared your feelings with us.
With prayers for the peace that passeth all understanding,love and best wishes
Christo

Unknown said...

Dear Brent:
I barely know you, your wife and children, but I grew up in the Fisher community at the East Bend church with your parents and grandparents and so have a long history with your family.
What I want to say to you is thank you for sharing your faith journey in such an open and healing way. It is hard to fully understand these painful situations that come to us. I lost my mother to ALS, my father to a stroke, and my youngest brother in a truck accident within the last few years. What I have learned through these sad experiences is that in death one can lose a person, but one never loses the relationship.
I am reminded of that again as I read your blogs and feel the truth and power of your words as gifts to so many people. Your gifts will live on in the lives of all of your loved ones and friends as they continue to remember and learn from and relate to your life and the precious and very meaningful times you are sharing together now. Be assured that your relationship with your loved ones will never die but will continue to strengthen and influence them as well as a wide circle of people as those remaining here strive to journey on in this life and be faithful to whatever life is teaching us. We will remember you and your life, especially your reminding us to slow down every day and pay attention to the Spirit speaking in so many ways.
Thank you again Brent, for sharing so much of your life.
With Fervent Prayers for you and your family,
Kathy Cender Martin
(First Mennonite Church)