Monday, October 15, 2007

My Faith, My Family ... My Childhood, My Shroud


My Faith, My Family, My Childhood, My Shroud ..... From life's early years to its ending. All are represented through this picture.

My Faith: The Bible as God's Word and Promise, represents my Christian faith.

My Family: My wedding ring represents my strong marriage, and the stuffed snoopy dog which my children embraced while growing up.

My Childhood: The same snoopy dog, which I got on Christmas Day at 10 years of age, and has been passed to my children over time. It will again be passed to my grandchildren through my youngest son.

My Shroud: The large brown cotton shawl which I received as a gift from a group of grateful wheat farmers in India, for my role as Research Director in providing them with a much improved variety of wheat (named "PRATHAM"). This large shawl has been my favorite wrap for those cold winter nights in India. It is so comfortable, that I always told my wife to wrap it around me when I die, for burial. This was always said in a joking manner; but now it has become reality. I will be wrapped in this shawl, as a death shroud, and then cremated. My ashes will be sprinkled in various places the world over; significant places which my wife and I have lived or visited. My wife and children will do this, out of respect and to bring a form of closure to my life on earth ... for everyone.

Much Love to You All,
BRENT

3 comments:

Ashwin Anant Sovani said...

Sir,

You are only the person in our life, who has shown a tremendous courage to fight against the worst conditions.

At Jalna ( India) we have experienced " A Perfect Human being " in you. You came here as an angel and changed the things to perfection at our R&D Centre.

With wishes.

Ashwin Sovani & Family
Venkatesh Apartment, Main Post Office Road,Jalna ( MS)

Dan S said...

Symbols... more than words. These items that you have chosen are things that you cling to in times of crisis, comfort you in times of sadness, and bring joy to you when life is calm.

I know these items point to larger things that hold you. I perceive them to be like the stakes that keep a tree solid and allow it stability as it grows toward the sun.

My prayers are that they will continue to hold you steady.

-Jill Schreiber

Shridhar said...

Sir,

The interpretation got tears to my eyes. You are/were so proud of Pratham. You will be must be very happy that now it is widely accepted and in demand so much as to create shortages.
I remeber, three years back, you had mentioned this to me as your dream. iam only sorry that as the dream comes true..
Yes life is a mystery as the poem says and it will take anyone a lifetime to comprehend it. prayers are always with you, will always be with you...
God bless..
Regards
Shridhar Dhanagare
Mahyco Pune