Thursday, June 21, 2007

My Virtual Family Reunion

Last weekend was the annual family reunion gathering at my Uncle's place in Indiana. It is held each year in June, and we have been attending whenever possible for over 15 years. Our extended family numbers over 70 (or maybe 80 now) and we enjoy each other's company; so this is an event to look forward each year. Considering my health problems, I really wanted to attend this year. After all, these are the people who have helped form the foundation of my life; and considering the difficult outlook of my condition, I just don't know if this will be a final chance to see everyone (I am sorry to say this, but it is true - one never knows). I also knew that the reunion weekend would be at the low point of my immunity during this round of chemo treatment. My doctor left strict benchmarks to meet in blood chemistry before I could drive there, but my system couldn't manage. Severe disappointment would be an understatement of my feelings.

A satisfying solution was arranged by my sons. They took their laptops to the reunion, and via broadband and Skype (Internet audio - video conference software), I was able to see and talk to everyone over two days; and they could see/hear me also while I was sitting at home. In fact, it was really fun; a kind of novelty for everyone. I kept joking that only my head attended the reunion. A talking head in a computer box; kind of like a science exhibit. We (my wife and I) were also able to follow the Sunday morning worship service; and participate in the special prayer said by everyone for us. It was a bit strange seeing everyone gather around the laptop there, to pray for us on the other side. At least we didn't try laying of hands on the screen, or anointing with oil on the keyboard ! But it was very meaningful anyway.

This went a long way toward removing feelings of disappointment and loss. I'm satisfied with how things worked out; my mind is at peace and it turned out to be a memorable event on both sides of the wireless link. Still, anyone who wants to visit me in person, please do so; you are always welcome.

Praise God for technology, and children who know how to use it.

BRENT

1 comment:

Bob Hudson said...

PS: I was listening to my favorite musician, Bruce Cockburn, on YouTube and heard a song that I thought you might like, What is the Soul of a Man? Somehow music can speak to us in ways that thoughts and words alone cannot. I wish, as your friends, we could all sing with you (or make music). Creating and enjoying beauty is important for the soul.