Monday, May 21, 2007

Brent's Blog - The Begining

Hello to everyone. I am starting this blog to make it easy for relatives and other friends to keep updated with my health situation; and for creating a forum for prayer requests. I also hope this provides me with a good outlet for creative writing to share my experiences as I go through this journey with cancer. I have always found writing to be therapeutic, more so now than ever before.

This is not really the beginning of my journey with cancer; in fact it has been almost 10 months since my diagnosis. But in many ways, this past week has felt like the beginning of realization that I have this disease. It all started back in late May, 2006, when I felt a large lump in my left hamstring. My family had been living in India for the past 11 years, doing agricultural research to develop improved seed varieties for farmers there. Since our children had gotten older, with more spare time I had been active in jogging distances and just assumed that my lump was a pulled muscle. But over the next 6 weeks it did not get better, and seemed to grow. By early August, it was obviously something concerning and my local doctor who advised to get an MRI in the largest close city (Bombay). The result was shocking; a 12cm x 6 cm tumor which encompassed my mid-left hamstring. We immediately went to Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center in NYC for surgery. The surgery was very successful (called "limb saving surgery" - which sounds great) due to the incredible skill of my surgeon. We were then surprised with the pathology report; a children's sarcoma type known as "Rhabdomyo sarcoma". In adults, this type of sarcoma is rare and rapid growing - but is known to respond to chemo and radiation treatments. So we started on a long course of chemotherapy in NYC. We moved the chemo and radiation treatments to my home town cancer center in Urbana, IL, so my wife and I could stay with my parents and be close to all my family. Our sons remained in India; one at an International School in North India and the other stayed with close friends at our home in India. Fortunately, my body handled the chemo / radiation treatments really well, and we even made 3 trips back and forth to India over these past 8 months. My first two chest scans (Sept. and Jan.) were clean, and everything looked great going into the final round of chemo in mid-May. But much to our shock, and disappointment, this last round of chemo was never to occur. We have now found that the cancer has spread into my lungs; in the form of many small nodules and one larger one (over 1 cm). What this means is that the chemo treatments we tried initially were not effective, but there was no way to know this because we had nothing to measure it against. This initial chemo treatment course used 3 drugs that were very old (30 years or more) but known to be effective in children.

So now for the new beginning part. I realize that up to now, I have not accepted having cancer. I only accepted having a tumor which was removed ... a really foolish attitude. Now I have to accept cancer all over again. It is like being told again for the first time. Shock, denial, sadness, fear, regret; not once but twice. We are now in process of getting a biopsy of the new growth, and then setting out on a new treatment options. On the positive side, I really like my doctor here at Carle Cancer Center in Urbana. He is positive and creative, keeping up on research. Carle also has a tie in with Mayo Clinic. Sloan-Kettering in NYC is one of the top cancer institutes in the world, but at this stage it is really difficult to go back and forth to NYC; so we would like to base out of Urbana and go up to Mayo if anything more is needed.

I got inspired to set up this blog, from another blog by Nathan Detweiler and his parents /friends (http://nathanstory.blogspot.com/). Nathan has the same scarcoma type, but it had spread into his lump node system; and in many ways was a more difficult case than mine. I was really inspired to read how his cancer had responded to chemo and how he fought through many obstacles to survive and graduate from Goshen College; including a stem cell transplant procedure. Just reading his experiences over a 2 year period gives hope that something may work out and we must never give up. Another aspect of Nathan's blog which has been especially moving, is how much his experience has brought him closer to God and taught him to rely on God for strength. His faith is inspiring; as is his ability to find joy even in the lowest moments. Following this example, it is time me to more earnestly seek God's guidance and use this experience to grow in faithfulness and trust in Him. I realize that once I achieve this, a calmness will come over me and I will be at peace.

I want to share scripture sent to me by a dear friend upon learning of my cancer recurrence:

PSALM 118 5 - 9 :
"God Answers Prayer"
In my distress I prayed for the Lord and he answered me and rescued me.
He is for me! How can I be afraid? What can mere man do to me?
The Lord is on my side, he will help me. Let those who hate me beware.
It is better to trust the Lord than to put confidence in men.
It is better to take refuge in him than in the mightiest king!


I hope to share my journey with you all, seek your prayers, and gain inspiration and spiritual insight along the way.

BRENT

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Dear Brent
We all at Sungro Pray for your speedy recovery.

With warm regards,

Kamal Somani

Harold said...

Dear Brent,
Margie n I are v sad to read about the latest development. It's really brave of you to take things so stoically. We can only pray which we are doing daily n in addition Margie prays for you specially during the daily mass which she attends.
Our love to you, Usha n the boys,
Harry

Siva said...

Dear Brent,
It all seems like yesterday when I met you in LaJolla. Time flew really fast with many events planted in our lives. Me and my family are very deeply sorry to hear about you. We wish you a speedy recovery. Our prayers and wishes are with Usha, Bryan and Ben to overcome this difficult period in their lives.

Regards
Siva, Sheela, Tara and Durga.

Sunil Madan said...

Dear Sir,

Get well soon,
We all at Dawalwadi praying for your health.

Best Regards.

Sunil, Ajay, Rahul, Suresh, Satish,
(Plant Transformation Group )

Unknown said...

Dear Brent

We at ISAAA family around the world pray God almighty to speed up your recovery and give you stregnth and courage to draw a new pathway to win this battle. We know you have ability to set new path that will motivate others to triumph against this disease.

We all pray for your early recovery.
cheers
Bhagirath and,
ISAAA family

Unknown said...

Dear Brent,
Since I heard from Raju abou you health and fight with the demon, everyday I praty to GOD for your fast recovery. As I strongly believe in prayer, GOD will definitely listen. No prayer goes unattended by HIM. HE will listen and you shall win this fight. A lot is yet to be done and I believe you will be with us and your family much much long. GOD bless us. Aamin.
kkt

Unknown said...

Dear Brent,
We all pray for you, for your speedy recovery and we all know that prayers result in miracles.

We wish the same for you.

Sanjay Deshpande and family, Delhi

Siva said...

Dear Brent,
After I read about your laptop incident, the following story came up my mind. Just wanted to share it with you and cheer you up.

A girl was suffering from a serius illness. The trees in her garden were in full fall colors and were all shedding leaves as the season changed. Right next to her window she would see an oak tree shedding its leaves like all other trees. In her mind she thought of a resemblance of her life with the leaves falling from that oak tree. And she would think that by the time when the last oak leaf fell, her life would end. Her mother read that little girl’s mind and wanted to do something to change her depressing mind. When the girl was sleeping, quietly one night she went up the oak tree and glued that last leaf to the tree so it would never fall. The girl woke up that morning and waited for the leaf to fall, 2 days, 3 days even weeks passed by, that last leaf never fell from the tree! The girl was surprised and became more and more cheerful. By the time the seasons changed to winter and into spring. The tree once again sprouted leaves from its branches, still holding that old and dried leaf on its branch. The girl forgot about her illness and depression and when she saw the tree blooming once again. She felt some changes in herself and became healthy once again and her disease was gone!!

I remember reading this story when I was in high school, don’t know who the author and other details are, but still very fresh in my mind. Hope this would cheer you too. The cure is in our minds. If I were near you, I would have quietly removed the dying hard disk and replaced it with a new one with all your data back!!! Cheer up Brent, it will all be just fine...

Best regards
Siva

Unknown said...

Dear Sir,

First I would like to assure you that a strong active and Dynamic person like you is sure to bounce back defeating all your present health constraints.
My memory down lane reminds your resourceful aspiration helped us everybody to be successful in our professional sphere.
I strongly feel such a personality cannot lose this battle too and would come out healthy & stout.
Cancer these days are very much curable and by grace of GOD very soon you would be fit and active and we all are waiting for that very message to come from you shortly.

Our deep hearty pray to GOD who would bless & show the quickest recovery path and make you and all your near & dear ones HAPPY.

Wishing you a speedy recovey.

With warm Regards,

Anil D. Kolte.
Bharti Kolte

Unknown said...

Dear Brent sir,
U R battle against cancer is an inspiration for every person in the world. So for spreading this inspiring message to all mankind You
have to win this battle...
"get well soon"
Our prayers and wishes are with Dr Usha, Bryan and Ben

Annie said...

Dear sir,

Psalm 46: 1-2
God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea

Psalm 71: 20-21
Though you have made me see troubles, many and bitter, you will restore my life again; from the depths of the earth you will again bring me up. You will increase my honor and comfort me once again.

2 Corinthians 12:9-10
"But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me

Sir recently only I came to know about your blog. I pray to God for your speedy recovery.

God is a refuge to all who put their trust in Him. He is or strength. His Grace is sufficient for us to be happy in our life.

There r ups & downs in life but never give up, God helps those who help themselves.

I pray to God that he put His nail peirced hand on you & comfort you , heal you.Jesus is able to do miracle , only one thing which we should do is sumit ourselves at His hand. He is a loving father, He will never let us down.

thats why in psalms we read:Though you have made me see troubles, many and bitter, you will restore my life again.

He will sure fullfill the desires of your heart.

All my prayers & love in God & Savior Jesus Christ.
May the God's Grace be with you & your Family.
Amen.

Annie Jessy Thomas
(Ex-mahyco Employ)

bharathkool0005 said...

its ausome an thanx fr doin all this just fr havin more an more friens bien made .so!!!!!!!!